Tuesday, March 20, 2012

FUNERAL WHORE


FUNERAL WHORE is one of The Netherlands new “old” bands who adore a music that comes right from a rotten, bolted grave. I´m almost asphyxiated, as their rancid sound blew through my (en)tomb(ed). Enough hints? Then let’s get into a small talk.

Hello neighbors, let us start with a cliché. How´s going forward with the destabilization of liberation in regard to weed and coffee shops in the Netherlands? Is the resistance growing?


TIM
We don’t smoke weed and have no idea how the coffee shops are arranged. But given the fact that there are many foreigners in Holland it's probably going OK. hahahaha. Also I don't care about politics and don't really pay attention to what they have to say.

Give me just a short sketch. How have you met each other, what keeps you running and what holds you together as band?

TIM
I got a random phone call from the rehearsal room, were I played bass in my former band. The owner always saw me headbanging like crazy during rehearsals and when Roy asked him of he knew a bass player. I was the one who he called. Ever since, I always come over at Roy and Kellie's house, to rehearse, drink some beers, watch some horror movies.

ROY
That was in 2007. We all share the same thoughts about the band, death metal and party. We are old school fanatics and there are so many things in the future that we want to do so all these things together keeps the band together.

And what the hell is a FUNERAL WHORE? It must be an allegory that avoids my common sense!

ROY
Hehe,it just sound brutal, that’s all. But why this stunning you? There are names that are 10.000 times sicker or more idiotic than Funeral Whore. Never heart of Rectal Smegma (??!!) or Anal Cunt (???)

Of course I have. But when I analyze the band name in my way, you must be some necrophiliacs who celebrate their perverted bias through loud and brutal music. So analyze this!

TIM
Fuck Yeah!!! That sounds about right. Fucking dead corpses, with brutal music playing, volume 11, through the speakers! hahahahaha

Ok, let’s get back to more serious hogwash … . First; is a beaten path the easiest and safest to walk?

TIM
Every band has to climb the same uphill battle, unless you already know the right people, of course.

ROY
In a musical way, the beaten way is safe but still, there are so many osdm bands worldwide working hard, it’s not easy to set up a band and writing music that still have an (old) impact. But, as we currently receiving our reviews of our full length, we have done a good job together!

What do you expect from your excellent album, after the press kisses your asses so intense?

TIM
Good question, haven´t thought about really. Actually personally I am just really stoked on the idea that there is a album out there which I worked on. It´s my first album and for the other members as well. So we try to just promote the album as hell and than we´ll see what happens next. Hopefully a lot of gigs and some sick ass festivals.

ROY
I didn’t expect it was going this good in the first place! I think and hope we’ll have more gigs along other osdm bands on a higher level

Are you not afraid to get pilloried because of your retro – attitude from the ones who are brassed off from the old school revival?

TIM
No, let 'm come. We will kick all their asses all the way back to where they came from. hahahaha

ROY
Correct, fuck ‘em. Jealous idiotes.

Do you like speculations? What would you do without bands like Grave, Bolt Thrower or Asphyx?

ROY
We, Funeral Whore as a osdm band, would not exist. It is as simply is that.

Of course you are not clones of those bands. To trust your own creativity will lead to sustainability! Are you with me?

ROY
We do what we like to do. That will lead to a second album.

About the development of the album - would you say it took some doing or did it slip out like wet puppies?

ROY
The recordings went very good. Because it was the first time to record a whole album in a real studio, we did several rehearsals in the weeks before. A wise choice. We recorded all 11 songs on the 1st out of 3 days.

The more simple a song is the catchier it is. Is this your principle?

ROY
Not really. It’s a little bit more than that. Indeed, most of the time the simple things bring out something catchy or powerful. But simplicity dus not guarantee you a catchy song. There are other factors that play major roles. The drummer has a big share in how things finally burst out.


Cemetery - growls, mangily guitar and hellish basses, how long does it need to get a whole album with such excellent ingredients?

ROY
I have a lot of powerfull compositions of songs in my mind that I want to work out and after I finish one thing, something new has already took it’s place. So, I don’t need much time in osdm to create something, it’s already there in my mind. It just needs to be assembled in the rehearsal room.

“Step Into Damnation” thrashes the listener back into the Stone Age of the scene and spreads a similar morbid feeling as bands like Mordbrand or Undergang. What makes you immune from other and more modern paths of Death Metal?

ROY
Nowadays, many bands still record their stuff on hyper digital stuff, mastering, re-mastering, re ampl. whatever, we do not do that. No pollished modern sound needed, we want to have just that raw edge. It’s something you really miss, also with the bigger bands.

The samples on it are plenty trite. Are you out of ideas, have we to live with clichés, is it some shit you had to do? What is it?

TIM
The movies were a big part of the inspiration for the songs as well as for the band and the atmosphere around it.

ROY
It might be cliché but I don’t give a shit. “Camp Blood” is all about the movie Friday the 13th so why not a sample from it?

Chaos Records are no neighbors in a territorial sense. What are your expectations and what about the distribution in Europe?


ROY
The loads of reviews and interviews still coming in so Chaos Records had done a awesome job.

TIM
Damn, I wished I had done my homework. Hahaha. It is going really great as far as distribution and promotion. Which is a good thing, and which we are really grateful of. I personally don’t really expect an enormous gig or something like that.

With all the deservedly good reviews the expectations for the next release will rise for sure. Because of that the writing process for a possible next album will be more stressful and arduous. Are you afraid about it?

ROY
No, absolutly not! With our new powerful, young and fanatic drummer Nick, we are ready for the second album. We have already a bunch of new songs on the shelves, better and darker than before.

TIM
Something to think about……

How important is it being authentic, not leaving the impression to follow a trend just a short time?

TIM
Old school is the true death metal way, hahahaha. Like I said we are not really trying to be original. But we are going to stay true to the style as far as I am concerned. Are you with me on this one, Roy?

ROY
Yes, I am. First of all, we, as band, know what we want and what we are doing. We know our style and I also know that we are no trendy wankers. Those are our enemies for all time, we are Funeral Whore and this is old school death metal.

Is FUNERAL WHORE time consuming? I mean how much time can you donate if the interest in the band ascends after all the positive areselicking?

TIM
Really gratefull for my girlfriend having such patience with me and the band. Because I, already spend a lot of time on the band and rehearsal. Luckily she likes Old School Death Metal as much as me! Well, I hope they are not licking our asses. hahaha. We're not that big so, I hope the responses are serious. Of course constructive criticism is always welcome. The arselicking is probably reserved for the bigger bands.

ROY

In the early stages of the band it was hard work. Now, we got some attention in the small scene and also the collaboration with other osdm comrades like Massive Assault, Nailgun Massacre, Profanal, Obscure Infinity, Deathronation and Entrapment means better promotion and exchanging gigs for eachother. It works very well this way.

I wish you all the best and hope to see you somewhere on a German stage in future! Last shot is yours!

Regards to our brotherhood bands. Deathronation (Germany), Obscure Infinty (Germany), Profanal (Italian), Nailgun Massacre(Netherlands). Check their STUFF OUT NOW! Not for trendy ears. Hahahaha http://www.reverbnation.com/funeralwhore

No comments:

Post a Comment